maandag 18 mei 2009

Animation Style

Hey Guys,

I talked to bram about the animation sequence and that we need to decide on if it's going to be 25 or maybe 30 frames per second due to memory allocation and the size of the images that need to be loaded in XNA.

The thing is that the animation will have a different feel to it when it is rendered out in 25 frames instead of 30. So therefore we need to think about this first.
Ofcourse we can use the same style of animation but I think that it will be blunt if we just decided that rendering it out on 25 instead of 30 "works just as good".
It doesn't...
Why? Because I will feel very hurt if we did think about this very lightly. We designed EVERYTHING, and this part which is the icing on the cake regarding to the visual style is left to faith on "whatever works out for us in XNA".

I personally looked up some animations on youtube and found one that I think really fits well with our design. Also there are some aspact in this particular animation (like the water) that looks great without much visual effects and knowledge of animation. Here's the link.

It has alot of fast movements in it. I personally like this since you don't have to get down to detail to much and it increases the dynamic. Also I have the sensation that it raises your awareness since the movements are so fast that you're constant aware of what happens on the screen.

If you can find other kinds of examples, please do! And please comment on this post and speak your mind!

3 opmerkingen:

  1. absolutely stunning example guus. I truly love Jamie Hewletts style, co designer of the Gorillaz. The water also seemed very convincing, without doing a lot of "realistic" movement. I think we should make our own variation on this, Tiki style.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Woah there... Let's take a little step back... 25 or 30 frames, or maybe even 20 frames per second will make the difference between something that's possibly sluggish and incredibly painful to load, and something that loads like a breeze... We don't know how much it will affect the style, in fact PAL television is 25 fps if I'm not mistaking... When you go to the movies you only get 23. Besides, we can crank up the framerate in XNA again.

    How about we test this first and then decide how it feels?

    As for the Monkey animation, looks great, I agree. But it's an animation, not a game. I agree with the visual style, but we will need to simplify in order to make our game playable.

    I hate to be that black-hat nay-sayer again, but well... Deal with it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hey Bram,

    don't ever think we disagree with your thinking. It's very useful and we need that kind of person to you know! For your information, the animation is not what I want our ride to be, it's just an example of the style we could use for the animations itself (the fast movements etc.). I think the visual style will benefit from it as well so that's why I want us all to give it some thought.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen